Thursday, January 28, 2010

Stuffed Shells



What you will need

1 small container ricotta cheese or 1lb fresh ricotta
1 jar your favorite spaghetti sauce
1 tbsp parsley flakes
1 8oz package mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup, plus a sprinkle Romano or Parmesan cheese
1 tsp garlic salt
approx. 16 pasta shells

1 egg(you will only need to egg if you use fresh ricotta, not the container from the dairy section

Start by bringing a pot of water to a rapid boil and preheating your oven to 350*. Then boil your shells, for about 10 minutes.

Next mix together your cheeses(using 1/2 cup of the mozzarella cheese), garlic salt and parsley, add in an egg if necessary. I like to taste the mixture before adding an egg to make sure the seasonings are right. Once your shells are finished boiling rinse with cold water so they are cool enough to handle.


Now, place a layer of sauce in the bottom of a casserole dish, sprinkle with some Parmesan cheese.



Fill shells with your cheese mixture.


Ladle more sauce on top of shells and cover with cheese and bake until bubbly and lightly browned.


I serve with salad and french bread.

6 comments:

  1. Yummy!

    Again, can I substitute ricotta with cream cheese (or cottage cheese)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love your new blog! But it sure makes me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Iiri, I think if you are going to sub for this recipe I would use the cottage cheese. I think the cream cheese would have to strong of a taste. But, I have never tried it so I could be wrong!

    Thanks Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Iiri-Brandon does not care for ricotta so when I make similar dishes I use cottage cheese or part cottage cheese part ricotta.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have these all ready to go in the fridge for tomorrow!!! Soooooooooo excited!!!

    I don't know if I filled mine full enough though! I used the same size pan as it looks like you did (9x13 right?!?) and I got 5 shells per row.... so maybe next time I should fill them more...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lara I hope they turn out yummy! You have to let me know what you think.

    That pan is not a 9x13, it's smaller, maybe an 8x10 or something...so they are probably fine.

    ReplyDelete